Hobart and William Smith College
Bartlett Theatre for Performing Arts 1988
PREV
PAUSE
PLAY
NEXT
Client:Hobart College
Project Category:Colleges and Universities
Architect:Platt Byard Dovell White
Arch. of Record:Armstrong / Cummings
Completion Year:1988
Location:Geneva, New York
Located in Coxe Hall, a grand Jacobean-style building designed by Clinton and Russell Architects and constructed in 1901, Hobart and William Smith College's Bartlett Theatre is currently home to all of the Theatre Program's productions on campus.

Coxe Hall is named for Bishop Arthur Clevland Coxe, a benefactor of the school. Bartlett Theater shares the Hall with the president's office, The Pub, and a classroom wing, which was added in the 1920s.

In 1942, the space beneath was renovated to add dressing rooms, and later a prop room which at that time was part of the Student Union. In 1970, with a donation from Mrs. Blanchard Bartlett Walker, the theatre was updated and dedicated to Blanchard H. Bartlett, director of the Theatre Program from 1919-1936.

The HWS Theatre Program combines opportunities for live performance with a variety of courses in theatrical production, performance, theory, history and literature; and student- and faculty-directed productions are presented in Bartlett Theatre.