Atlantic Theater Company
Linda Gross Theater 2012
PREV
PAUSE
PLAY
NEXT
Client:Atlantic Theater Company
Project Category:Resident Professional Theatres
Architect:Coburn Architects
Completion Year:2012
Location:New York, New York
Capacity:199 seats
Located on a tree-lined street in the historic Chelsea district of Manhattan, the 199-seat Linda Gross Theater is housed in a Gothic Revival building that is at once grand and intimate.

In 1991, Atlantic found its first permanent home in Chelsea: the Parish House for St. Peter's Church. Built in 1871, the parish house has been a vital part of Chelsea since its early days, offering a home for amateur performances, local art shows, community classes, and even a practice court for the New York Knickerbockers. When Atlantic first moved in, the building had been retrofitted as a theater, and its warm brick interior and soaring ceilings, together with an almost perfect audience-to-stage ratio, created an artistically inspiring space.

In 2012, the company completed an $8.6 million, three-year interior renovation of the space, for which FDA provided a full range of theatre planning services. An entire basement level was excavated to improve front-of-house operations and increase bathroom facilities; back-of-house planning created an efficient workspace for performing artists and technical staff; the entire electrical system was replaced; among other significant changes. The Atlantic has produced over 125 plays at this location.