Park Avenue Armory
Wade Thompson Drill Hall 2010
PREV
PAUSE
PLAY
NEXT
Client:Park Avenue Armory Conservancy
Project Category:Special Projects
Architect:Herzog & de Meuron
Arch. of Record:Platt Byard Dovell White
Completion Year:2010
Location:New York, New York
Lighting:Fisher Marantz Stone Partners
Acoustician:Akustiks
Capacity:1,500 seats
The Park Avenue Armory, which has been called "the single most important collection of 19th century interiors to survive intact in one building" by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission, contains interiors designed by Louis Comfort Tiffany, Stanford White, the Herter Brothers and other prominent artists at the turn of the century. Built for New York State's prestigious Seventh Regiment between 1877 and 1881, the soaring 55,000 square foot Drill Hall remains one of the largest unobstructed spaces of its kind in New York.

Joining a host of unconventional spaces around the world (many in converted industrial, transport or military buildings), the Armory fills a crucial niche in the cultural landscape of New York, catalyzing and attracting works of art that cannot be realized at existing venues elsewhere.

FDA was engaged to design a new event infrastructure for the Head House and the Drill Hall, including overhead rigging, lighting, power, and data, and a full inventory of flexible seating and staging systems that can be reconfigured into a broad range of layouts. The revitialized venue will be utilized for conventions and fairs, gala events, performing arts, visual arts, fashion shows, sports events, exhibitions, weddings, concerts, banquets, and conferences.